Thursday, July 22, 2010

Oregon

This week Connor and I went to Oregon to visit my grandma and my aunt.  It was a really fun trip.  Oregon is such a beautiful state and we really enjoyed seeing the sights for the couple of days that we were there.  It was also so nice to see my grandma who hadn't met Connor yet.  My grandma has Parkinson's Disease so we didn't get to spend too much time with her (she gets tired a lot), so the rest of the time we saw some beautiful scenery, and ate some incredible food.  Here are some hi-lights.


Connor and I like to watch a show on the Food Network called "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" and so we looked up online some restaurants that had been featured in Portland.  We decided to go to Arleta Bakery and Cafe for brunch one day and they had some amazingly good food.  The picture above is the biscuits and gravy that I got and they were so so so good.  Connor got the french toast which was really good too but I personally think I got the better dish.  :-)


We also went to visit my Grandpa Nelson's grave.  He died is 1966 (as you can see) so I never got to meet him.  He is buried at Willamette National Cemetery.



We went to see the ever so beautiful Portland Oregon Temple.

We also went to the Oregon Gardens which was just beautiful.  There are 80 acres of developed gardens and it was really beautiful and interesting to see all of the different gardens.
Here is the train from the Children's Garden.  If you look closely, you can see the caboose lying on the its side next to the track.  Connor broke it.  :-)

Us before we left the Gardens.

After we left there, we went to Silver Falls State Park which has a bunch of water falls.  We only saw a couple of them, but it was also really beautiful.  I love how Oregon is so green.  It's so different from Utah...


I don't know if you can tell, but thats a waterfall behind us.


And of course the hi-light of the trip was visiting with my aunt and grandma.  Since they live so far away I don't get to see them very often and it was great being able to visit with them.  My poor grandma has had Parkinson's disease for as long as I can remember so by this point it's hard for her to get out of bed and do much.  But we were all able to go on a drive together around Portland.  I saw the house where my dad grew up in, and some of the areas where they used to play in.  We were able to spend some time together, we went out to lunch together one day, and they were able to get to know Connor.  It was really fun and very worthwhile.  It was truly a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...