Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My thumb is bigger than your head.

That's what my cute niece said over and over again while we were visiting DC.  "My thumb is bigger than your head."  "My thumb is bigger than Abraham Lincoln."  "My thumb is bigger than the Washington Monument."  You get the idea.  Robin is hilarious.  Last week we went to Virginia to visit my mom and we had so much fun.

Since I work for JetBlue I get awesome flight benefits.  But in order to get to Virginia from Salt Lake we had to take the red eye to JFK.  So when we got to Virginia on Wednesday, Robin and I were both very tired.  After I woke up from my much needed nap, we went to a toy store and Robin got some silly putty and I got this toy called Bucky Balls.  It's a toy for adults that is made of over 200 magnetic balls and you can make all sorts of cool things out of them.  They're really fun and very addicting.

Thursday we got pedicures.  Robin loved that we sat in massage chairs during our pedicures.  She had a lot of fun with that.  After pampering our feet, we went and did some shopping.  Then we had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, and went and saw Rango, which was pretty good.  (It was either that or Gnomeo and Juliet, and I really did not want to see that.) :)

After getting our pedicures.
On Friday Robin and I headed into DC.  We went in on the Metro and when we got there we walked over to the Washington Monument to see if we could get some tickets to go up, but they were already sold out.  So we just walked over to the Lincoln Memorial (which Robin really wanted to see).  Then we walked over to the Smithsonian and went to the Museum of Natural History.

My favorite part was this butterfly room that they have.  You get to go into the room and there are butterflies everywhere.  I had one land on my back for a little while, and then one landed in my hair and stayed there for at least 5 minutes.  While it was in my hair, another one landed in my hair.  So for a while there I had 2 butterflies on my head and they wouldn't leave.  They ask you not to touch the butterflies so I couldn't get them off, and people kept commenting about the butterflies in my hair.  Robin wanted one to land on her but every time one would get close she would flinch.

At the Museum of Natural History.
The first butterfly that landed on my head.
The highlight of Friday was when Robin and I got back from DC and went ice skating.  We went to the Reston Town Center to the ice skating rink they have there.  Robin had never been before and it was so fun.  That's actually the first place that I went ice skating too, and I was about the same age as Robin when I went ice skating for the first time.  We had lots of fun skating around the ice.

Ice Skating!!!
On Saturday we got some lunch at Red Robin, and then we went to Great Falls State Park.  It had rained a lot on Thursday so we thought it would be interesting to see the falls.  There was so much water.  My mom said that she had never seen the water like that before.  We also saw a wedding while we were there.  After that my mom couldn't do anything more, so we went home.  Later Robin and I got dinner at Wendy's and then got some ice cream at Baskin & Robbins. 
At Great Falls State Park.
Sunday we went to church, hung out a little, and went flew to Long Beach.

Robin and Grandpa Byrd before we left.
We stayed in Long Beach for the night, woke up the next morning, got some breakfast, and went swimming.  The pool (which they claimed was heated) was freezing, so we stayed mostly in the hot tub.  Robin was adventurous and jumped into the pool for about 5 minutes, but it was still really cold so she came back to the hot tub.  It was a pretty big hot tub, so we could sort of swim around it.

Flying home from Long Beach to Salt Lake was a little stressful.  I was concerned we weren't going to make it since the flight was so full.  (Flight benefits = Standby travel)  Luckily we got some seats and made our way home!

We had so much fun on the trip, but it's definitely good to be home.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a fun trip. You are an awesome auntie and Robin will always remember that trip her whole life. Sounds like you ladies did all of my favorite things while you were there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...