Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Knee News

This morning I got my knee brace off.  Yay!  Little did I know, that involved getting staples removed too. Last time they put sutures in my leg, so I thought they would have done the same this time.  Not so!  I was surprised when I saw the staples, and the PA who removed my bandages told me that she's surprised that the last time they didn't do staples because there's a smaller chance of infection with staples.

I was nervous about her pulling them out, but it didn't hurt.  It just pinched a little.  One of my incisions did start to bleed again, but it stopped quickly.  Then she put some adhesive and tape over my incisions.  Then came the pressure sock.  Oh, the pressure sock.  How I hate it.  But it's better than the brace.  2 weeks.  I can do 2 weeks, right?  Last time I made it 1 week and 5 days.  Maybe this time I'll make it the full 2 weeks.  We'll see.

I'm going to my physical therapy appointment on Friday.  By this point I've paid so much into my insurance that the physical therapy is "free" as is pretty much anything else I need to do this year.  I'm trying to think of other things I can/need to do.

Pre Brace Removal.  (Sorry it's blurry.)

Removing the gauze.  It was actually pretty bloody.  Yuck.

I think I was checking out the staples.

Waiting for the staples to be removed.  

Compression sock!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there's reduced risk of infection with staples. I got staples after my c-section and they looked scary and hurt/bled when taken out. I always envied my friends who said they got the internal stitches that just disintegrate after their c-sections, but now I guess I'm a bit glad for the reduced infection risk of staples. Even though they look scary in skin...they just don't belong there! :)

    I'm glad it all went well and wish you the best in your recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree they do not belong in your skin! I'm so glad I didn't know they were there or I probably would have stressed a lot about it, and about getting them removed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...