Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Alcatraz

I have always wanted to go to Alcatraz.  I have kind of a weird obsession with prisons, especially old ones.  So when Connor and I decided to go to California for the baby blessing, I really wanted to go to Alcatraz.  We bought our tickets about a month in advance because we heard they can sell out fast.

Alcatraz was really interesting.  It's really a fascinating place, and it's interesting to see how the prison functioned, and also hear about the prison riots, and escapes.  It's also interesting to know that people lived there and grew up there.  Not prisoners, but families lived there.  Also, there is an interesting Native American history there, which is worth checking out.

Our boat out to the island.


One of the Guard Watchtowers.


Not my ideal location for a shower. 


I told him originally that he looked too happy to be in prison so this is the face he made.  :)

Solitary confinement in D Block.

I'm definitely too happy for solitary confinement.


I think this is the cell of Frank Morris, who escaped with John Anglin and  Clarence Anglin.

These are the pipes that they climbed up to get to the ceiling for their escape.

The kitchen.  They had to outline all of the knives in the cabinet so that they could know if any went missing.


We ended up staying out there for about 2 hours, and then drove the 2 hours back.  We got to Joe and Crystal's pretty late, but we stayed up and watched Escape From Alcatraz together.  Good movie.  And it was interesting to see the places that Connor and I had just visited.  

2 comments:

  1. We tried to go last summer but it was sold out! It's on my list. Looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAAGGGHHHH!!! I can't believe you were in the bay area and didn't come visit me!!! I live in Napa--it's only like 1 hour away from SF!!! (throws Barbie)

    I guess I'll forgive you this time, my friend. :) But next time, hit me up! I miss you!

    It looks like you had so much fun in SF! I'm so glad. Even in my utter rage and dismay. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...