Thursday, August 15, 2013

Sick Little Boy

On July 24th, Matthew woke up with a pretty high fever.  Normally I wouldn't worry so much, but on the 25th Matthew and I were supposed to fly to Virginia.  So, as a precaution, we decided to go get it checked at the doctors.

He had a mild ear infection, so the doctor prescribed some antibiotics.  Honestly, I don't know that he needed them, and if I hadn't been about to fly with a 9 month old on a plane across the country I would have waited it out longer.

Anyway, as the day went on, Matthew just got sadder and sadder.  His fever would go down around 101, and then it would go back up to 103.  I had to alternate Motrin and Tylenol every few hours, and that would still only keep it down around the 100 to 101 range.  Poor kid.


I gave him a lukewarm bath to help.  He seemed to really enjoy that.


And then we woke up in the middle of the night, and I didn't even need to take his temperature because I could tell he was burning up.  I quickly gave him some medicine, then I took his temperature, which was above 103.  He was so sad and pathetic looking.

I put the cool rag on his head.  I thought he would try to pull it off, but it must have felt really good to him.  I rocked him back to sleep, and then cuddled with him the rest of the night so that we could both get some sleep.

He got a lot better, but his fever didn't really subside until after we got to Virginia.  I think it was a combination of a virus and teething.  I checked his upper gums one day and didn't see any teeth at all.  Then two days later I checked again and I could see the outline of 4 teeth.  Poor little boy.  Getting 4 teeth at once is no fun at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...